The 80th Birthday celebrations (Pearl Jubilee) of Dr. Palani G Periasamy, Chairman of Le Royal Meridien and PGP group of companies was celebrated at a grand function at 6.30 pm on the 5th January 2019 at Hotel Le Royal Meridien. Former Chief Justice of Supreme Court and Hon’ble Governor of Kerala Thiru Sathasivam as the Chief Guest of the function. Thiru R.M. Veerappan, President of MGR Kazhagam presided over the meeting in the presence of Dr. Silamboli Chellappan Tamil Scholar Kavignar Vairamuthu, Poet and lyricist delivered a special address and a galaxy of Tamil Scholars and political leaders offered felicitations to Dr. Periasamy on his 80th birthday and shared their experiences with him. The following is the list of speakers at the function:-
1) Thiru K. Veeramani, President of Dravidar Kazhagam
2) His Holiness Madurai Adheenam
3) Thiru Vaiko, General Secretary, MDMK
4) Thiru G.K. Vasan, President, Tamil Manila Congress
5) Dr. A.C. Muthiah, Chairman, SPIC Group
6) Thiru C. Ponnaiyan, Former Minister / Organising Committee Member, AIADMK
7) Thiru Bharathiraaja, Director
8) Dr. S. Jagathrakshakan, Founder, Bharat University
9) Thiru E.R.Eswaran, General Secretary, Kongunadu Makkal Desia Katchi
10) Mr. Gaffour Kosi from USA
11) Actor Thiru Sivakumar
Dr. Periasamy in his acceptance speech thanked all those who felicitated and wished on this happy occassion. Mr. R.M. Veerappan and Mrs. Visalakshi Periasamy lit the Kuthuvilakku.
Dr. Periasamy’s daughters Jayanthi, Santhi, Ananthi and Nalini and relatives and friends received the guests. A Souvenir published to mark the 80th birthday celebrations of Dr. PGP was released by His Excellency Thiru P. Sathasivam Governor of Kerala and was received by Thiru R.M.Veerappan and Tamil Scholar Thiru Silamboli Chellappan. Mr. A. Sennimalai, Managing Director of Le Royal Meridiendelivered Vote of Thanks on behalf of the celebrations committee and Dr. PGP’s family.
DR PALANI G PERIASAMY FOUNDER & CHAIRMAN PGP GROUP OF COMPANIES CHENNAI Tel : (0091) 44 2231 4343 Fax: (0091) 44 2234 7621 Email:chairmangleroyalmeridien-chennai.com
1972 : Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh, USA
1967 to 1969 : M.A. Economics, University of Pittsburgh
1960 to 1962 : M.A. Economics, University of Madras
1957 to 1960 : B.A. Economics, University of Madras
Chairman, PGP Group of Companies which consists of (Appu Hotels Limited, Chennai, (Le Royal Meridien Chennai) (Le Meridien, Coimbatore)
Dharani Sugars & Chemicals Limited, Tamil Nadu, India.
Dharani Developers Private Limited, Chennai,
Dharani Finance Limited, Chennai Founder President –
PGP College of Arts & Science College, Namakkal,
Department of Hotel and Catering Management PGP Polytechnic, Namakkal
PGP College of Engineering and Technology, Namakkal.
PGP College of Education
PGP College of Nursing
PGP College of Pharmacy
PGP College of Agricultural Sciences
Dharani Matriculation Hr. Secondary School, Tirunelveli.
PGP Matriculation Hr. Secondary School, Namakkal,
PGP International School, Namakkal,
PGP College of Yoga and Research Centre
Dharani International School, Tirunelveli
PGP Industrial Training Institute
b) Dharani Nagar, Tirunelveli
1962-63 Lecturer in Economics, P.S.G. (Madras University), Coimbatore.
1963-67 Asst. Professor of Economics. Tagore Arts College, Madras University, Government of Pondicherry.
1968-1987 Held various teaching positions including Director of Graduate Studies, School of Business University of Baltimore, in US
HONORS AND FELLOWSHIPS
2018- Recipient of the ‘MGR RATNA Award’ from Government of Srilanka
2017-Recipient of the ‘Life Time Achievement Award’ From Sugarcane Technologists Association of India
2017-Recipient of the Life Time Achievement Award From Enterpreneur’s Council of India
2016- Recipient of the Sadanaiyalar Virudu from `World Tamil Congress Committee’
2016-Recipient of the ‘Life Time Achievement Award’ from Kongu Nanbargal Sangam, UK.
2016-Recipient of the ‘Life Time Achievement Award’ from Tamilnadu Foundation Inc, USA
2014-Recipient of Dr.N.Mahalingam Award for His Outstanding
Achievements from Kumaraguru College of Technology.
2013-Recipient of the ‘Life Time Achievement Award’ from Saveetha University
2013-Recipient of the ‘Iconic Trailblazer’ Award by The Tamil Chamber of Commerce.
2012-Recipient of the Ma.Po.Si. Award from Ma.Po.Si Trust
2006-Recipient of the Best Entrepreneur Award as an Alumini of University Of Madras
2005-Recipient of Dr.A.C.Muthiah Award’ for 2005 for `Excellence in First Generation Entrepreneurship’
1999-Recipient of ‘Outstanding Service Award’ by the Tamilnadu Foundation Inc., USA & FETNA, USA
1993-Recipient of “National Unity Award 1993” for outstanding services, achievements & contributions from All India National Unity Conference, New Delhi on the 50th Birth Anniversary of Late Shri Rajiv Gandhi.
1986-Honorary Fellow of Madras Medical College 1985 for Human Services.
1985-Best Renovation Year Award of Hotel Ramada Inn, Florida.
1985-Chairman, NRI Delegation to India.
1975-University of Baltimore Faculty — Advisor of the year Award.
1974-75-Outstanding Educator of America, 1975.
1973-74-Outstanding Educator of America, 1974.
1960-Recipient of “Gopathly Mahadeva Chetty Gold Medal for Economics, 1960”, University of Madras. First Rank in B.A. Degree Examinations of Madras University, 1960 (Citation in the “Gazette” of the Government of Madras)
1960-62 Awarded “Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar Prize for Meritorious Services”. This is very rarely awarded and the entire faculty of Presidency College, Madras University is responsible for the selection. This is the most coveted award any graduate student could aspire for).
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD :
• The Association of Economists of Tamil Nadu,1989-1990
• Tamil Nadu Mini Cement Plants Assn.
• Chesapeake Association of Economic Educators, Washington D.C. 1979-1980 (This is the only time a foreigner has ever been elected to this body by Economists unanimously for two consecutive terms)
• PGP International Financial and Industrial Consultants Inc. USA
• South India Sugar Mills Association, Chennai (2002 – 2003) and since 2014
• Tamilnadu Foundation Inc. USA
• South India Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Oct 2015-2016)
- Indo-Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Chennai.
- South India Sugar Mills Association, Chennai(2001-2002)
- Southern India Chamber of Commerce & Industry from October (2009 – 2015)
- Presidency College Alumni Association, Chennai
- Member of the Planning Board of Tamilnadu Physical Education and Sports University since August 2016.
- Member of the Planning Board of Bharathiar University, Coimbatore since Nov 2013
- Faculty Senate Policy Committee 1970-1980.
- University Faculty Senate 1973-1976 President Adhoc Committee, Chespeake Association of Economic Educators, Maryland 1975.
- Indian Sugar Mills Association, New Delhi.
- The Tamil Chamber of Commerce
- Madras Presidency College Post Centenary Golden Jubilee Celebrations
- University Committee, School of Business,1979-1980
Dr Periasamy was also the Founder President of the Tamilnadu Foundation Inc., and the Tamil Cultural Association, Maryland, Virginia and Washington D C. In this capacity, he had been responsible to mobilise Tamils of North America to contribute and take up charitable projects in Tamilnadu in the fields of Rural Education, Health and Civic facilities.
During the year 1984, when the Late Thiru M G Ramachandran fell critically ill, Dr Periasamy organized medical assistance from USA and later on managed his treatment in the USA. With the prayers of millions of people in Tamilnadu, Thiru MGR came back to become a Chief Minister again.
When the Late Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi pioneered a special scheme for NRI Investments for India’s economic development, Dr Periasamy led a delegation of NRIs at the invitation of Government of Tamilnadu. Later on, he and his friends have added a new dimension in the industrial development of Tamilnadu with NRI Investments and established make green field projects in Tamilnadu.